Wednesday, March 6, 2013

ROUND 2

I had my second round of Chemo last week. It wasn't as bad as before but that's like saying Stalin wasn't as evil as Hitler. Still one has to celebrate the small things. The days following Chemo you do feel like you've gone a few rounds in the ring with Mike Tyson. You're knocked out before the ref counts to 1. But this time I think I got in a small punch of my own. I've bounced back a little quicker and the side effects haven't been all that life-squashing. 

My taste buds seem to be the hardest hit. I simply cannot taste deliciousness or yumminess of any kind. I can taste onion. So that's what I've been eating. Last night I had 3 roasted onions for dinner. My brother tells me onion is good. It  prevents cancer. Smiley face. 

I do have some news. 
When I first started this blog I mentioned that I'd had an Oncotype test. Basically, minus the scientific mumbo jumbo, it tests the chances of your cancer returning and how your cancer will respond to Chemo. When I was first tested my score was low. A mere 10. I chose to do Chemo anyway because my doctors questioned the result. My Oncotype score was retested. And it came back high. 32. Turns out one can have a Sybil of a tumor. A cancer with multiple personality disorder. Luckily she's already on the couch, having therapy with Dr Chemo. 

I'm doing 4 rounds of Chemo. So I am halfway through. Whoop. And nog a pip. I would have celebrated with Champagne and a funny hat but bed, sleep and pain meds seemed a better party. I can sort of make out a hazy light at the end of a long, dark, Annus Horribilis of a tunnel. To those who endure 6 or 8 rounds of this poison. I tip my cancer cap to you all. Respect. 

http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/types/oncotype_dx





4 comments:

  1. You're getting there! Half way is huge! ~Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome that you're half way!
    About those 8 rounds of chemo...it sucks ass!!!!! About half way through it you suddenly realise that your body is being pumped full of poison and the psychological effect is huge :(
    BUT, I'm still alive and it's almost 2 years since I finished chemo...yay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost over Robs- your continuous positive attitude amazes me !!!Hang in there xxxxxlove Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done wife of Noel! :) I will be watching your progress closely and am loving the blog. You are an inspiration. Stay strong and Rest plenty xx

    ReplyDelete