Thursday, April 4, 2013

THE BLACK NIPPLE AND OTHER GRUESOME STORIES

I forget that not everyone who reads this blog knows me personally. I now have readers as far away a Poland. Pretty awesome or should I say dosc niesamowite. I've been asked about my history before Chemo. So here is the not so short and bitter version. A prequel so to speak. 

Cancer Biyatch. 
My journey.

I turned 40 very reluctantly (and somewhat miraculously seeing as I was only 35 the year before) last year in August. At the insistence of my gynie I went for a 40th mammogram. My breasts were squashed, squeezed then screened and a mass was detected in my left boob.

So I went for an Ultrasound. There they found a lovely, oval, smooth lump. The doctor practically pranced into the room saying: "It's a Fibroadenoma don't worry." But of course I worried. I checked about 1000 articles and images on the internet. And indeed, you can clearly see the difference between a Fibroadenoma and a cancerous mass. The cancer has uneven edges, it's no smooth operator. 

Next step was a Core Needle Biopsy Ultrasound because that's what they do when they find any mass.
I wasn't worried until lying on the table, I turned to the screen and saw 2 lumps. Oh shit. And the one looked like all the pictures I had seen of cancer. Double shit. "What's that?" I asked panicked. Nurse: "Oh that's the other lump, we're doing two biopsies you know?" I did not know. No one had told me. I looked up at the nurses and doctors and saw 3 pity smiles. Shit Trifecta. 

My biopsy was on Oct 29th. At 5pm on the 31st, while I was dressing my kids for Halloween, the phone rang. Trick, not treat. A doctor I had never met, in a very happy, matter-of-fact voice told me I have one benign Fibroadenoma mass and one Classic Cancer tumor. Classic cancer? What's that? Does the tumor wear Chanel, pearls and a Hermes Birkin?

The next month and a bit were spent choosing a surgeon to remove the cancer; a plastic surgeon to reconstruct my breasts; an Oncologist to find out what type of cancer I have; setting up a plan, doing an MRI and waiting for results. And waiting for more results. And waiting for other results. 

I had a double mastectomy with tissue expander nipple sparing surgery (I was taking no chances it would come back in my other breast) on January 18th. I was in hospital for a few nights. During that time one of the spared nipples turned black. It looked mummified. So I had a white nipple and a black nipple. I could have been a Stevie Wonder song. Ebony and Ivory, living in perfect harmony. The breast remake. 

Eventually that nipple was removed as it was declared oxygen deprived and dead. So I became a one nipple wonder. 

I hate my tissue expanders. They are hard, turtle-like, saline shells that train your pectoral muscles to handle the eventual weight of your silicone implant, by filling up slowly with saline until they're big enough. They are medieval torture. 

I went home to recover from my op with bloody drains dangling from my fake I-must-I-must-increase-my-bust breasts. Now this is the value of a good man: my husband milked my drains like he was going for gold in a cow milking competition. He did it faithfully everyday, despite his aversion to blood or paper cuts, and he didn't once complain. This was the 'for worse'. 'For better' is coming soon.

The rest of the story is, give or take a painful recovery, more tests, more waiting and some more waiting, in my blog. 





  














6 comments:

  1. Bit of that story feels all too familiar - particularly the three pity smiles. I received the very same thing from a doctor and her nurse. They knew at the time about the cancer, and I sure didn’t. I hope you find your ‘for better’ very soon. ~Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that was 2 drains, twice a day for 2 weeks -- don't undervalue our 'for worse' ;-) And 'for better' is just around the freakin' corner!!!!!! Let's close this sucker out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mammograms have been known to cause cancer. Nobody tells us that of course and we go in blindly and ever-trusting of our doctors. DONT mess with the body, dont radiate it, leave it alone and follow a healthy lifestyle and heal yourself naturally by supporting the immune system. Cancer is treatable if you STOP poisoning your already weakened and challenged immune system/body. Its not too late.

    More about mammograms here: http://www.naturalnews.com/010886_breast_cancer_mammograms.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once this is over you need to write something, a book or something you have a talent - you are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, this was a really nice post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to produce a great article…
    but what can I say… I put things off a whole
    lot and don't seem to get nearly anything done.

    Also visit my web site: Male Enhancement foods

    ReplyDelete