Friday, February 8, 2013

CHEMO IS NO PICNIC.


I had my first day of Chemo yesterday. I don't know why I expected it to be a walk in the park. I think that I had read up so much that I had myself scheduled for IT to hit on day 3 and gradually reduce by day 10, then I would be fine until the next infusion. I even packed a frikkin picnic basket for the day. Such was the extent of my delusion. I was there from 8.30am and last to leave at 6pm. Halfway through the first lot of Chemo drugs I developed an allergic reaction. Watering, sore, red eyes and elevated heart rate. They had to stop the Chemo, give me antihistamines and even more steroids, wait until I was ok and continue on. I developed a chalk-like taste in my mouth and was not hungry in the slightest. My husband and mom throughly enjoyed the picnic lunch. Once home I went straight to sleep and have felt nauseous, crappy and exhausted ever since. On a better day I'll describe the big social scene Thursdays at the Chemo ward are and how loudly Southern families like to talk about their pie and dogs. But not today. Today Chemo is the clear winner. 

3 comments:

  1. Yes.... but you shall be the WINNER at the end of this....no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beet and quinoa salad was ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having flashbacks! BUT I'm alive and strong as an ox!

    ReplyDelete