Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I'D RATHER BE WATERBOARDED

It's been 5 days since I had my first Chemo infusion. It has not been pretty. Mostly I'm exhausted. I'm really too tired to be typing this. I'm taking long breaks between each sentence for some water and a pep talk from my coach. Then back into the ring, 3 words, Gatorade, rest. 

I have many side effects. But, I shall spare you the long list and cut to the gross bits. Blatant sensationalism I know, but a gal's got to lure her audience in somehow. And, since there is absolutely zero sex happening now, I'm going for blood, violence and pain. 

Eew factor numero uno:

I have blisters in and around my nose. All over. My nose is a dot-to-dot abscess puzzle. Connect them all and you'll have a cankerous, white-headed Miro. If I have to blow my nose, it gets Tarantino bloody. Chemo literally punches you in the face. 

Eew de 2 (Coming soon to a perfume counter near you.) 

My entire neck and chest area is covered in a throbbing, itchy, red rash. It works much as America does. The areas that are blue are calm. But the red spots are unbelievably irritating and menacing. And, they won't go away. I've tried appeasing them by buttering them up with soothing lotion and promising it'll get better this time around. But they don't believe me. They're swollen, angry, demanding all my attention and insisting the other 47% of my body should not share the cream. It's a hard itch to scratch. 

Eew 3 

This one's really for Adam Sandler fans. POOP. If you're not laughing hysterically and making fart noises with your armpit, this Blog has ended for you. Thanks for reading. For the rest of you, and my nephew, I shall continue. I had not pooped in 5 days. Yesterday was my first one. And it was a tiny, pathetic, Cadbury's Whisper of a poop. No, Dr Freud, I am not holding onto my poop like gold. I've long since gotten over those issues. I would simply love a relaxing, free-flowing, zero-pushing guano. Isn't that what everyone wants? 

I'm tiring fast. It's time for a quick nap before my Neulasta (medicine to stimulate healthy, white blood cells and fight infection) starts drilling at my bones with a pneumatic jackhammer. Can't wait to see what next week brings. 


15 comments:

  1. You had me at Eew number 1. Robs, you one brave biatch and please keep writing. It's the real journey that one never writes or talk about. Big hug from a bloody hot Cape Town xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Carmie. enjoy that summer...lips and I would kill to be there!!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I'll ever eat a Cadbury's Whisper again, thanks. Here's to the Eews getting less Eewy. You've got all of our support and admiration. Poop and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. I see the mistake i've made and I do apologize. It was reckless writing.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll need a cortisone, anti-histamine cream for that rash - probably an allergic reaction, I also had it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I was given by the doc today! But all in pill form. The creams made it worse.

      Delete
  5. You are correct in that your nephew will like eew #3, however he doesn't know what you are going through so I shall not show him the blog.
    Love ya Iron Girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know but I put it in for the one day when he will read it. Think he'll get a kick out of it. xxxx

      Delete
  6. My daughter is going through chemo for breast cancer as we speak. I am sorry you are on this journey and wish you all good things. As a writer myself, I must say you have a great talent for words and your wit is sublime. Keep the blog up; I think you have a winner here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm trying to keep up my spirits up. Writing helps. I wish all the best for your daughter and yourself.

      Delete
  7. YOU ARE A VERY TALENTED WRITER.SO SMART WITH A QUICK WIT AND ELEVATING.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Robyn, you don't know me but I am getting a chance to get to know you a bit through this wonderful blog. I was at SACAP with Lips so heard loads about you from her. Thanks so much for sharing this with everyone - brave, clever and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly. Lips speaks very highly of you. Glad you are enjoying the blog.

      Delete